Boat Insurance (Updated)
With the enormous population of watercraft in the Pittsburgh area, ensuring your boat or PWC has financial protection is a must. Construing water ways throughout Pittsburgh continue to expand allowing more and more watercraft to fill the void. The benefits of insuring your watercraft leaves you worry free and safe on the water. Carriers that we represent offer the most competitive comprehensive coverage in the insurance industry. Please contact us so we can help you today!
Photo courtesy Frauscher Shipyard
If you have any questions about insurance or can't find what your looking for, contact us now.
When you take to the water, protect your family, guests and your investment with the very best in marine insurance. Travelers offers a boat program which is one of the most flexible boat programs available, designed to provide even greater, more cost-effective protection...
- 12-month coverage with no mandatory lay-up period
- Coverage up to 30 days may be available for most newly acquired boats' purchase price
- Marine claim experts available to assist you anytime
Physical Damage coverage. Provides protection in the event of a collision with a submerged object or another boat.
Liability coverage. For bodily injury or damage to the property of others.
Personal Property coverage. Protects personal property on the boat including, but not limited to, your clothing, stereo system, cameras and other personal items.
Towing and Assistance coverage. To transport your boat to a repair facility when it's inoperable and you're stranded. Gas delivery for boats and roadside assistance are also available.
Travelers Now Offers the First Insurance Discount for Hybrid Boats and Yachts!
Travelers has delivered another industry-first. You've heard the recent announcement of our Electric Boat Discount, we're now pleased to unveil our new discount* on Hybrid Boat and Yacht Insurance.
What is a Hybrid Boat?
A hybrid boat is one that is specifically designed to reduce green house gas emissions and conserve fossil fuels, as compared to an internal combustion engine boat.
A hybrid boat also utilizes an integrated propulsion system that incorporates in its original design, both an internal combustion engine (ICE) and an electric motor.
About the Hybrid Boat Discount
The new hybrid boat insurance discount recognizes and rewards hybrid boat owners by offering up to a 10 percent discount off their boat insurance premium for hull and liability coverages.
- The discount applies to hybrid boat and yachts
- Available for both new and existing Travelers boat and yacht insurance customers.
* A discount of up to 10% applies only to certain coverages. The discount may not be available in all states and is subject to individual eligibility.
Travelers Electric Boat Discount
Travelers is proud to be the first insurance carrier to offer a 10% discount* on boat insurance policies for electric boats.
Why is Travelers offering an Electric Boat Discount?
As habits are changing and more people are using electric boats, Travelers is ready to offer the innovative insurance solution that fits the evolving lifestyle of our customers.
With environmental concerns and escalating fuel costs top of mind for today's boater, the market for electric boats - and the number of electric-only lakes - is increasing. Our new electric boat insurance discount can help you to save on your annual insurance costs for your boat.
The Electric Boat Discount
- The new electric boat discount recognizes and rewards electric boat owners by offering 10 percent off their boat insurance policy.
- Available for both new business and existing Travelers boat insurance customers. For existing customers, the discount is automatically added at renewal once the discount is available in their state.
Personal watercraft are not generally covered by homeowners or auto insurance, and where they are, the coverage limits can be fairly low. You may need to purchase a specifically designed policy in order to insure these vessels. The personal watercraft policy covers:
- Bodily injury
- Property damage
- Guest passenger liability
- Medical payments
Typical policies include deductibles of $250 for property damage, $500 for theft and $1,000 for medical payments, although these may vary from company to company.
Liability limits start at $15,000 and can be increased to $300,000. This coverage will provide financial protection if your personal watercraft is involved in an accident.
Most policies also include water sports liability, which covers risks associated with activities such as waterskiing.
Consider buying an umbrella policy which will provide more liability protection. One million dollars in extra coverage costs about $300 a year and would extend to your home and auto insurance policies.
If you have several personal watercrafts, you may qualify for a multi-boat discount on your insurance. Additional coverage can also be purchased for trailers and other accessories.
Be sure to speak with your insurance agent or company representative about your specific needs.
Personal Watercraft Safety
Sea Doos, Wave Runners and other personal watercraft are fun and so easy to use that you can get a false sense of security; however, each year they cause thousands of serious injuries.
To safely enjoy your personal watercraft, the I.I.I. suggests the following:
- Never follow directly behind another personal watercraft. Stay at least 100 yards behind the vessel in front, and no less than 50 yards to one side. Because these vessels can travel at a very high rate of speed, each rider must be able to react to sudden changes in order to avoid a collision. Eighty percent of all injuries and fatalities occur when two vessels collide with one another.
- Don't jump the wake of a passing boat. You could misjudge its speed and cause a collision. Or you might end up in the path of traffic coming from the other direction.
- Stay alert! Be aware of what is going on around you. Steer clear of other watercraft, swimmers, divers, water skiers and fishermen.
For more information visit: www.iii.org